Lillian here, back in Boston, after two glorious weeks with the ocean at our door in Provincetown, Massachusetts, at the very tip of Cape Cod. And it’s September 28th. I’m hosting Poetics today so I was wondering…..anything special about September 28th?
* It’s the birthday of Confucius, Ed Sullivan, and Brigette Bardot.
* Miles Davis, Harpo Marx, Louis Pasteur, Herman Melville, and Pierre Trudeau died on this day.
* Eight members of the Chicago White Sox were indicted for accepting bribes to throw the World Series in 1920.
And then I came across the website mybirthdayhits.com. I plugged in the date September 28, 1947 for fun and voila! It showed me the top musical hits on September 28th from 1947 to 2021. So, if September 28, 1947 was my birthday (it’s not): 12th Street Rag by Pee Wee Hunt was the #1 hit on my first birthday; Goodnight Irene was #1 on my 3rd birthday; That’ll Be the Day by Buddy Holly was #1 on my 10th birthday; and Bobby Vinton was crooning Blue Velvet on my 16th birthday. AND, there’s a recording of each of the hits on the site as well. So fun!
SO WHEN’S YOUR BIRTHDAY? For today’s prompt I’d like you to go to the website https://mybirthdayhits.com and plug in your birthday. There’s a spot in the upper right-hand corner of the site for you to enter your birthdate. Have fun scrolling down the years, seeing what the #1 tune was on each of your birthdays. Pick at least one of the song titles that hit the charts at #1 on your birthday – one that resonates with you – and use it in its exact wording within your poem. Of course you’re free to choose more than 1 title and see where the muse takes you on putting them into one poem! Be sure to give credit to the song titles and the artist at the end of your post – and, if you’d like, share your birthdate with us too! Take a moment and listen to the songs as well! Have fun with this one, grooving down memory lane.
New to dVerse? Need to be refreshed on the rules?
Here’s what to do:
- Use the link provided above to find out the #1 hits for every year you’ve celebrated your birthday.
- Choose at least one #1 hit and include it, using the exact wording of the song’s title, in your poem. Be sure to credit the song(s) and artist(s) at the end of your poem. You may or may not choose to share the year of the song….but do share the date!
- Post the poem to your blog AND add the exact URL for your poem to Mr. Linky below.
- REMEMBER to either TAG dVerse in your post, or include a link at the end of your poem that leads readers back to dVerse (https://dversepoets.com).
- If there is no Tag or link back to dVerse, I will gently remind you to add it or remove your post from Mr. Linky. Sorry to be so harsh…..but this is just part of the requirements AND it will bring you more readers and lead more folks to dVerse so they can participate as well!