~Eli Khamarov, The Shadow Zone
The poem is the point at which our strength gave out.
How do you define poetry? Many have tried, perhaps in an effort to put poetry in a box, but feral animal that it is, it won’t stay caged long.
And who has the right to define poetry, beyond preference?
Must it have meter? rhyme? metaphor? rhythm? any number of word tricks and tools? Must we lay it against a ruler and make it one more thing where we make excuses for size?
Or is it heart that matters?
What I know it this, today we bring pen to page in homage to something within that takes us beyond ourselves, so scratch, ScRaTcH, SCratCH away poets and show us the world through your eyes—because Poetry is grilled cheese on a cold day, the dripping cheesy goodness that burns your lips and fingertips, but still you are unable to stop eating it.
Here is how this thing works:
- Post a poem to your blog,
- Link in the poem you’d like to share (1 per blog, please) by clicking on the Mr.Linky button just below.
- This opens a new screen where you’ll enter your information, and where you also choose links to read. Once you have pasted your poem’s blog url and entered your name, simply click submit.
- Don’t forget to let your readers know where you’re linking up and encourage them to participate by including a link to dVerse in your blog post.
- Visit as many other poems as you like, commenting as you see fit.
- Spread the word on the poems you enjoy if you’d like. Feel free to tweet and share on the social media of your choice.
- Finally, have fun with it! Too many poets are in it for their own glory, and we defy such petty poetry as we stand together.
See you out on the trail. ~Brian