Hi everyone ! In my part of the world it is springtime. But it has been a cold early spring that cherry trees are expected to fully bloom by first week of May. On some nights, it feels like winter still with temperatures at 0 C. So we wait and watch the rain soak the garden & bare fields. We wait until the colors return to the flowers & trees.
Spring is one of my favorite season and here’s one poem that I love reading about the season:
BY BILLY COLLINS
If ever there were a spring day so perfect,
so uplifted by a warm intermittent breeze
that it made you want to throw
open all the windows in the house
and unlatch the door to the canary’s cage,
indeed, rip the little door from its jamb,
a day when the cool brick paths
and the garden bursting with peonies
seemed so etched in sunlight
that you felt like taking
a hammer to the glass paperweight
on the living room end table,
releasing the inhabitants
from their snow-covered cottage
so they could walk out,
holding hands and squinting
into this larger dome of blue and white,
well, today is just that kind of day.
Do you have a favorite spring poem to share with us? Let me know in the comments below.
If you are new here, let me tell you how it works; for the regulars, here’s a handy reminder:
- Write 1 poem and post it to your webpage.
- Click on the Mr. Linky button below and enter your name and direct url/web address to your poem. There you will also find the list of those participating this week. You might want to refresh this occasionally or check back in as there are people joining over the next 36 hours.
- If it’s your first time here, please leave a comment to say so. That makes it much easier for us to find you and encourage you by visiting your site.
- Read other poets that have linked. Let them know what you thought, how the poem moved you, what you think of their style, what caught your attention. Please don’t forget to return the favour of those who have visited and commented on your work.
- Encourage others to participate through social media, promote your own piece and others.
- Have fun meeting and engaging with your fellow poets.
Wishing you all happy week ~ Grace