“I never paint dreams or nightmares. I paint my own reality.”- Frida Kahlo
Hello Everyone and Welcome to Tuesday Poetics here at dVerse! This is my first ‘official’ post as a regular bartender here at dVerse and I am so thrilled and excited to be a member of this team. Let’s have some drinks, great conversation, and write poetry!
I first discovered Jacquline Hurlbert’s arresting art when we were on a cruise in 2005. On our way to Victoria, Canada one of the stops was Astoria, Oregon. We had time to to explore the quaint seaside town filled with art galleries. We popped into one small gallery and there she was- the piece that called to me, and said- “Take me home.” The piece we purchased, called Red Hat is below in a photo . She sits high on a shelf and overlooks our living room in all her glory.
I contacted Jackie about using some of her recent paintings for a poetry prompt here at dVerse and she was happy to oblige. So, without further fanfare below are 6 works of art to inspire beautiful words from this talented group of poets. Please be sure to give credit to the artist and pop over to her website to see her offerings. jhurlbert.com
New to dVerse? Here’s what you do:
- Write a poem inspired by one of the paintings, please credit the artist
- Post it on your personal site/blog
- Copy your link onto the Mr. Linky
- Remember to click the small checkbox about data protection.
- Read and comment on some of your fellow poets’ work
- Like and leave a comment below if you choose to do so